Aaron Frank, Town Manager
Town Meeting Day- Please Vote! Sample Ballot: https://tinyurl.com/Col-Sam-Bal
The deadline to return your voted Town Meeting absentee ballot is Monday, March 1st by 4:30pm. Use our GREEN Drive-Up Drop Box between the Town Hall and Police Department Buildings. It is available until Monday, March 1st until 4:30pm.
On Tuesday, March 2nd, bring your voted absentee ballot to the Colchester High School Gym. There will be a drop box at the HELP DESK.
You may also vote in person on March 2nd between 7:00 am to 7:00 pm at the Colchester High School Gym at 131 Laker Lane (off Blakely Rd.).
Voter registration info: https://tinyurl.com/Col-Vot-Reg
February 23 Colchester Selectboard Meeting Highlights: Your Town Selectboard
- Approved an agreement with the State of Vermont to provide town land for use in improvements to Exit 17.
- Agreed to an advance purchase of a replacement police vehicle to take advantage of a discount available.
- Accepted the Vicenza Way as a town road as it was constructed to Town standards.
- Authorized local liquor licenses under a State of Vermont program.
- Heard presentations on the Municipal Services Budget and the Public Safety Capital Plan.
Video describing: https://tinyurl.com/Col-Bud-Vid
Please continue to wear masks, wash hands and physically distance. There were 439 cases in the last 14 days in Chittenden County.
Vaccine Appointments Open to Vermonters 65 and Older Starting Monday March 1st. If you already have an account because you were tested for COVID-19 through a Health Department site, use the same account when it is time to make your vaccine appointment.
Visit www.HealthVermont.gov/MyVaccine to get started and find more on:
-How to create an account and appointment for yourself
-How to add a dependent or spouse to your account
-Information you need to make an appointment
-Answers to commonly asked questions
-Current vaccine eligibility and time estimates for upcoming priority groups.
If you can't make an appointment online or need help with an online appointment call 855-722-7878 Monday - Friday, 8:15 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Zero COVID? https://tinyurl.com/ZER-COV
State COVID Modeling: National trends show continued decreasing rates of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths for the last five weeks. Regionally, there is a similar decrease or leveling off in cases, hospitalizations, and percent positivity for the third week. Bennington, Rutland, and Franklin Counties have higher infection rates than the rest of the state, keeping Vermont rates somewhat higher than other northeastern states. National, regional, and Vermont values are now returning to levels like those of the spring of 2020. There remain concerns for COVID variants. Weekly whole genomic sequencing for the UK variant is underway. The first two weeks of testing report no specimen with any variant at this time. Preparations are being made for a possible surge in transmission due to the variants in late March. https://dfr.vermont.gov/sites/finreg/files/doc_library/dfr-covid19-modeling-022321.pdf
COVID Cases in Colchester: 517 total cases from 2/11/2021 to 2/24/2021; this is 58 new cases in the last two weeks.
St. Michaels College COVID Cases: No new cases the week of March 1, 2021. Was testing last week for this week? Total case count is 93 since testing began in the summer of 2020. See https://www.smcvt.edu/return-to-campus/covid-dashboard/ for campus COVID updates.
Chief Scott Crady
- There were 191 emergency medical calls in the last 30 days, compared to 143 calls last year for this time frame.
- We would like to welcome our newest full-time employee, Marie Leach. Marie is a paramedic with approximately 3 years of experience working in Chittenden County. Marie is also an EMS and CPR instructor and has her M.S. in Clinical Exercise Physiology. Marie will make a great addition to Colchester Rescue as she enjoys working with others, providing medical care to the community and helping advance fellow providers in emergency medical services.
- Colchester Rescue continues to operate at the highest level of caution for COVID-19. As more people in the communities are being vaccinated for COVID-19 we believe it is still not the time to let our guard down; we continue to be diligent in protecting all of our personnel and patients. We ask the community to do the same and to please not become complacent as there are many more community members who need to be vaccinated.
Colchester Rescue: http://colchestervt.gov/rescue or call (802) 264-5990.
Planning & Zoning
Sarah Hadd, Director
The Colchester Development Review Board met on February 10th via Zoom and approved seawalls at 1503 Colchester Point and 219 Orchard Shore Rd. The Board also approved a final plat amendment for Annas Court to reduce the planned unit development buffer setback for accessory structures such as sheds and pools. The Board approved, with conditions, a site plan and conditional use application for expanding the commercial marina at 310, 318, and 371 West Lakeshore Drive. The Town’s jurisdiction is restricted to the land-based portion of the expansion with the State of Vermont and Army Corps of Engineers having jurisdiction over the 31 slip increase to 166 slips.
The Board will meet next on March 10th and consider a 30-unit planned unit development at 1269 Blakely Rd as well as a final plat application at 660 Jasper Mine Rd. and 356 Watkins Rd that would add two residential units a piece. A sketch plan to add two units to the planned residential development at 130 Rea Janet Drive will also be considered.
Visit http://colchestervt.gov/planningz or call (802) 264-5600.
Colchester Fire Department
Chief Stephen Bourgeois
-In the last month, our Department has responded to 78 calls for service in Colchester and several incidents outside of town for mutual aide.
-The members are doing well, and the Department continues to function with adjustments due to COVID restrictions to help keep our members and residents safe. Most of our members have received their second COVID vaccination and we are waiting for guidance from the state to start some kind of in person training when appropriate.
-We have received four new member applications and will be going through the entrance process when COVID restrictions allow.
-Assistant Chief David Weissenstein will be resigning March 1st. David has served the town for 46 plus years as a volunteer firefighter / EMT. He will be missed, and we would like to thank him for his long, dedicated service to the town.
-If you would like to contact the Department for any reason, please call 802-862-4415
Upcoming Town Meetings
Agendas available at: https://clerkshq.com/Colchester-vt
- Planning Commission: TBA
- Development Review Board: Next meeting: March 10, 2021 at 7:00 PM via Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/9359846003; Zoom Meeting ID: 935 984 6003
- Live stream: http://lcatv.org/live-stream-2
- Email public comments prior to the hearing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail Town of Colchester, c/o Development Review Board, 781 Blakely Rd., Colchester, VT 05446 or
- Participate at public comment periods during the Zoom meeting.
- Recreation Advisory Board: Next meeting: TBA
- Conservation Commission: 3rd Monday of the month. Next meeting: March 15, 2021 via Zoom. Details upcoming.
- Library Board of Trustees: Next meeting: March 18, 2021 at 4:30 PM. Dial in: (929) 205-6099 (NY); Meeting ID: 915 3778 8889; Passcode: 167274.
- Selectboard: Next meeting: March 9, 2021 at 6:30 PM.
Attend via phone: 1-929-205-6099; Meeting ID: 987 5493 2817; Passcode: 237498. Alternatively, send a note to TownManager@colchestervt.gov with “Citizens to be Heard” in the Subject and your name. As with in-person Citizens to be Heard, we ask that you SHARE YOUR ADDRESS. The email will be shared with the entire Selectboard prior to the meeting and included in the information packet at the next meeting.
- Watch the meeting online via live stream: http://lcatv.org/live-stream-2
- Selectboard Agenda: www.bit.ly/Colchester-SB-Agendas
Subscribe to the Town Newsletter: https://www.colchestervt.gov/list.aspx
For more information call 264-5509 or email email@example.com