Aaron Frank, Town Manager
East Lakeshore Drive Planning and Speed Limit: Colchester’s Planning Commission proposed and the Selectboard adopted a Town Plan which covers many topics, but importantly, the revisiting of zoning on East Lakeshore Drive. This and most major community planning efforts are on hold until we can again have in-person public meetings as well as community and staff capacity to focus on the longer term future.
However, the Public Works Director and Police Chief are reviewing the speed limit on East Lakeshore Drive. This is possible because setting legally defensible speed limits is primarily dependent on technical review and analysis. We expect to have a recommendation to the Selectboard by late spring.
Colchester Historical Society: The Colchester Historical Society newsletter includes information about Frances (Fanny) Margaret Allen, the donation of a model Colchester Reef Lighthouse by the Raub family, the acquisition of a metal basket that belonged to Arthur W. Howard, Colchester Postmaster from 1880-1885, and a presentation about the Buffalo Soldiers in Vermont February 18 at noon.
COVID-19 VACCINES IN VERMONT: From the Vermont Department of Health
When will vaccines be ready to give out?Vermont received the first shipment of vaccines. These vaccines are prioritized for health care workers and long-term care residents. Hospitals are scheduling clinics for health care workers. Pharmacies have been contracted to provide COVID-19 vaccines at long-term care facilities.
Requests for more doses of the vaccine are made to the CDC weekly. The number of vaccine doses each state receives is based on overall U.S. supply and state population.
Where can people get vaccinated? The health care workers and long-term care residents and staff will be notified directly about when and where they can get vaccinated.
When a COVID-19 vaccine is more widely available, the State of Vermont will work closely with the health care providers, pharmacies, and others who will provide the vaccine in Vermont to ensure access across the state. The State will also collaborate with community organizations and other partners to make sure people who are disproportionately affected by COVID-19, including Black, Indigenous and people of color, have equitable access to the vaccine.
How will I know when I can get my vaccine? The State of Vermont Health Department is NOT keeping a list of eligible people. When there is enough vaccine available, the State will announce when Vermonters can register for appointments.
Shots will be available by appointment, to avoid lines and to make sure there is enough physical distancing between people.
MORE VACCINE RESOURCES:
Vaccine Development 101 (FDA)
Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine Emergency Use Authorization Factsheet for Recipients - http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=14472
COVID Cases in Colchester: 285 total cases as of Dec. 30. This is 15 more cases than a week ago. This is between 21 and 40 cases in the last two weeks per 10,000 people in our community of 17,249. COVID Cases by town: https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-19/current-activity/covid-19-communities
St. Michaels College COVID Cases: The total cases count stands at 82 at St. Michael’s College. Between Dec. 18 and Jan. 1, 87 people were tested with none positive. See https://www.smcvt.edu/return-to-campus/for campus COVID updates.
Colchester’s Burnham Memorial Library
Kelly McCagg, Director
- Patrons checked out 4867 items from the library during our curbside hours in November. We will continue to offer curbside services throughout the winter, Tuesdays from 1-4 pm, Thursdays from 3-6 pm and Saturdays from 10 am – 12 pm.
- We ran our annual Gingerbread/Graham Cracker House Contest virtually throughout December. Participants submitted pictures of their designs and everyone voted on their favorite designs on our Facebook page. This year’s winners were Clara and Amelia Seguin for their entry, “Cookie Cabin.” You can see “Cookie Cabin,” as well as the other delightful entries on our Facebook page!
Visit http://colchestervt.gov/library or call (802) 264-5660.
Office of the Town Clerk | Treasurer
- Dog license renewal starts January 6 along with the 2021 Your Dog is #1 contest. Enter to win a basket of goodies for you and your canine bestie. Registrations are due by April 1.
- Don’t forget to file your Vermont Homestead Declaration / Property Tax Credit. Go to https://tax.vermont.gov/property-owners/homestead-declaration to learn more.
- The Town Meeting Election is Tuesday, March 2, 2021.
For more information visit https://colchestervt.gov/322/Town-Clerk.
Visit http://colchestervt.gov/townclerk or call 264-5520.
Upcoming Town Meetings
Agendas available at: https://clerkshq.com/Colchester-vt
Planning Commission: Next meeting: TBA
Development Review Board: Development Review Board: Next meeting: Jan. 13 at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/9359846003; Zoom Webinar ID: 935 984 6003
Live stream: http://lcatv.org/live-stream-2
Mail or email public comments prior to the hearing (firstname.lastname@example.org or Town of Colchester, c/o Development Review Board, 781 Blakely Road, Colchester, VT 05446) or participate at public comment periods during the Zoom meeting.
- Recreation Advisory Board: Next meeting: TBA
- Conservation Commission:3rd Monday of the month. Next meeting: Jan. 18, 2021 via Zoom. Details to follow.
- Library Board of Trustees: Next meeting: Jan. 21, 2021 at 4:30 p.m. via Zoom. Details to follow.
- Selectboard:Next meeting: Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. Residents may watch the meeting online via live stream: http://lcatv.org/live-stream-2 or attend via phone 1-929-205-6099; Meeting ID: 967 6487 8386; Passcode: 234888 or alternatively send a note to TownManager@colchestervt.gov with “Citizens to be Heard” in the Subject and their name. As with in-person Citizens to be Heard, we ask that you SHARE YOUR ADDRESS. The email will be shared with the entire Selectboard prior to the meeting and included in the information packet at the next meeting.
- Selectboard Agenda: bit.ly/Colchester-SB-Agendas
Subscribe to the Town Newsletter: https://www.colchestervt.gov/list.aspx
For more information or comment: 264-5509 or email@example.com