Messenger Sports

Two frustratingly terrible quarters doomed BFA-St. Albans on Saturday against Colchester. The Bobwhites failed to score in the second quarter and didn’t tally a point in the fourth until the final minute, losing 37-29 to the Lakers.

“You preach defense in every sport at every level and our defensive effort was there tonight definitely,” said BFA coach Matt Toof. “But offensively we could not put the ball in the bucket. Part of it was our execution early. I thought in the second half we had a much better approach and mindset, and things just didn’t fall.”

The Bobwhites (1-4) came out of the gate Saturday on fire defensively, holding Colchester (2-2) scoreless until a free throw with 4:26 left in the first quarter made it 5-1. BFA held strong on defense but despite an 8-7 lead after one, showed early signs of the offensive troubles that would cost them the game.

The hosts failed to tally a point in a painful second period. Colchester took its first lead of the day just 90 seconds in, going up 10-8 on a Carson Corrigan three. The Lakers never relinquished the lead, opening a 17-8 gap at the half.


Unwilling to sit back and let the trend continue, BFA charged into the third quarter with a small lineup fighting for steals and transition points. After allowing an opening three, the Bobwhites got a bucket on their first possession from Landon Potvin. Logan Tobin went on a solo 6-0 run for BFA and notched all eight of his points on the day in the third quarter as BFA cut the deficit to 26-24 entering the fourth.

“The first couple of possessions coming out of halftime we just reversed it and we ripped it and went to the basket,” Toof said. “It was kind of like, ‘Where was that in the first half?’

“We juggled the lineup a little bit going into the second half and we put some guys out there that we knew were going to fight and had that fight in them, and it happened for a spurt. But you have to play four quarters; it’s cliché but you really do have to play four quarters.”

That concept didn’t happen for the Bobwhites on Saturday. In addition to the scoreless second quarter, BFA failed to notch a point in the fourth until Taylor Yates hit a three with 55 seconds left to cut the Laker lead to 32-27. Yates was strong early for the Bobwhites but faced double-team coverage and received his fourth foul with more than two minutes remaining in the third quarter.

“They did a very good job on Yates, they really zeroed in on him and they did a very good job to slow him down,” Toof said. “And it’s not because of a lack of effort on his part. They had a game plan and they executed it.”

Colchester sets its sights on CVU and Middlebury this week.