Early Monday morning at about 5:32 a.m., area firefighters responded to a blaze at 258 East Lakeshore Dr., according to a Colchester Police Department press release. A passerby who noticed smoke coming out of the house reported the blaze.

The road was closed as firefighters from Colchester Center, Malletts Bay, Winooski, St. Michael’s College and Essex Junction departments battled the fire, the press release read. CPD said firefighters had to battle strong winds and cold temperatures, which slowed the fight.

No one was in the house at the time, and no injuries were sustained during the blaze, which lasted until around 2:30 p.m. when the road was reopened, according to the press release.

The house was completely destroyed, and the Vermont State Police determined the fire was started by electrical problems, CPD said.